The Official R.L. Stine Fansite! - The writer and creator of Goosebumps (Horrorland), Fear Street, Nightmare Room, The Haunting Hour and so much more...

The Official R.L. Stine Fansite! - The writer and creator of Goosebumps (Horrorland), Fear Street, Nightmare Room, The Haunting Hour and so much more...

An international Forum to talk about the work by "The Master of Fright"; the world's greatest, scariest, funniest and bestselling author of children's and Young Adult books!

It is currently Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:39 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: #12 - Graduation Day
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:45 am 
Site Admin

Graduation Day (May 1999)
ISBN: 0307247163
Golden Books - 206 pages

As graduation day nears, Josie fears that the senior curse will prove fatal to all seniors. This fear may come true in this tale of vampires and ghosts which culminates in an exciting, deadly graduation party.

Post subject: Re: #12 - Graduation Day
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:48 pm 

The synopsis sounds great; I love vampires and ghosts in books! :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:48 pm 

I agree with you Juud, it really sounds great. 8-) And the skull on the cover has something blood freezing and totally evil. I´m sure, this skull causes horrifying things :twisted:. What a luck that my graduation day is over! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:48 pm 

I still have to graduate...!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:45 pm 

Ok...so you shouldn´t read this book before you have graduated XD ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:58 pm 

Yeah, I should. But it sounds so great :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:12 pm 

Yepp, it really does. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:43 pm 

I feel bad we don't have a spoiler tag/box option here. I want to say my favorite thing about Graduation Day, but I don't want to ruin it for those who haven't read it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:29 am 
Site Admin

@ Cassondra; I'm trying to find out how I can install it here on the forum, so I hope it will be on in the next couple of days!

You can also post it already, and then just with the possibilities when you click on "Post Reply" make it fat, BIG and underlined.

SPOILERS:

(And below you can post what you want to say about it. :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:15 pm 

Okay, just wanted to be sure lol.

SPOILERS:

Oh, my Graduation Day. You could not have ended any better. The ceremony, our Valedictorian, Matty and Clark swooping in and of course being left wondering exactly what followed.

It's true, my favorite thing about Graduation Day is that not all of the questions even asked on the back cover are answered. Is Josie responsible for the curse? As far as we so, so the figure keeps telling her. Is Clark really a vampire? Unless he's just an excellent actor and got Matty in on the act... Who will survive Graduation Day? That one's my favorite. All of these years later and we still don't know. I always loved when Mr. Stine would give us endings like that and allowing us the readers to interpret how ever we wanted, that way no matter what the book could end both the way he intended as well as the way we would wish because there is no one who can tell us otherwise.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:12 pm 

Spoiler: show
I think Matty and Clark ARE vampires. I don't know if Josie is responsible for the evil spirit. I do know she is not responsible for all the bad thing happening. Like in book 4, Mira was the bad person, In book 8 it was Justin, in book 9 it was an accident, in book 5 it was Mr morley, in book 6 it was the fears, in book 7 it was Griffin, all things that were not related to the evil spirit.

<----MEGA spoiler!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:11 am 
Site Admin

@Robin; I won´t look at it! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:51 pm 

REVIEW: Kind of a weak ending to an otherwise fun series. This one ties heavily into the first book, Let's Party!, so that should definitely be read first. This one follows the dull Josie Maxwell, who is trying to defeat the senior curse that she may have sparked in the first book. This means lots of strange dream sequences, and visions of skeletons in graduation gowns everywhere she looks. There's also some mumbo jumbo about her and Trisha entering some portal through the burned-down Fear Mansion.

The other plot deals with Clark Dickson, and it is finally revealed whether or not he is a vampire. I found the whole thing very underwhelming. One of the Senior deaths here was a bit jarring, definitely taking me by surprise. Stine ended up killing off my two favorite Seniors in the final book, which kind of bugged me because there were still so many disposable characters hanging around.

Overall, it was a fun series, but the on-going plot about Josie Maxwell's doom spell was the weakest aspect of the entire series. The stand-alone books were strong enough to keep the series interesting. And since the characters were recurring, it was fun to keep track of the body count. It was difficult to not take a peek at the Yearbook in the next book to see who was killed off. But I was a little disappointed that it wasn't really much of an ongoing horror plot.

BETTER THAN THE COVER: Yes.

DOES THE COVER HAPPEN?: Yes.

FINAL RATING: 3 / 5