The Official R.L. Stine Fansite! - The writer and creator of Goosebumps (Horrorland), Fear Street, Nightmare Room, The Haunting Hour and so much more...

The Official R.L. Stine Fansite! - The writer and creator of Goosebumps (Horrorland), Fear Street, Nightmare Room, The Haunting Hour and so much more...

An international Forum to talk about the work by "The Master of Fright"; the world's greatest, scariest, funniest and bestselling author of children's and Young Adult books!

It is currently Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:28 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: The Cataluna Chronicles #3 - The Deadly Fire
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:41 pm 
Site Admin

The Cataluna Chronicles #3 - The Deadly Fire (October 1995)
ISBN: 0-671-89435-8
Simon & Schuster Inc. - 147 pages

The Doom Car has already destroyed racecar driver Stan McCloy, but his brother Buddy still can't seem to stay away from it. There's something about that gorgeous Cataluna...

Something ancient and evil. But all Buddy sees is a way to win back his girlfriend from Will, the mysterious guy she's been seeing. Just one race and Sara will be his. Just one explosive race -to the death.

Post subject: Re: The Cataluna Chronicles #3 - The Deadly Fire
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:29 am 

REVIEW: I've always wanted to read this trilogy, so now that I finally have, my curiosity is satisfied. Overall, it wasn't great. But it wasn't too terrible either. This third entry deviates from the narrative structure established in the first two books. There's no jumping back and forth between two different stories, this one is more straight-forward. I appreciated that, but the book itself is just more of the same.

This one does continue the William and Catherine storyline. It also has its own storyline, involving a boy who becomes obsessed with the "Doom Car" and plans to drag race for the honor of his cheating girlfriend. There's a pretty cheesy Back To The Future homage. Also, the resolution to the whole ongoing William and Catherine storyline doesn't entirely add up. Logically, it just doesn't make any sense. I hope the other trilogies, like Fear Park and Cheerleaders, are better than this one.

BETTER THAN THE COVER: I'll say no, because I really like this covers.

DOES THE COVER HAPPEN?: Yes.

FINAL RATING: 3 / 5